Subscribe to the FREE Newsletter     

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Help Support
Dallas Deputy Tells
Of Ending Long Chase

Bob Alcorn Says All He Has Done for Months
Is Hunt for Bandits

Dallas County Deputy Sheriff

ARCADIA, La., May 23—With other officers for ten months I've been trying to get Clyde and Bonnie, ten months when I did little else except look for them, hope I'd find them and get them dead or alive. Today we got them. They won^t kill anyone else now. We got them as they came along the road. It was all over in a moment Both of them were dead as their car nosed into a sandbank and came to a stop. They didn't even fire a shot but they had grabbed at their guns when our bullets knocked them over.

I began following Clyde and Bonnie last summer. I got reports they were here, there and yonder but always when the other officers and I got there they were gone. Only once last November we ran onto them near Dallas but they got away when we let them have it and they weren't even hit.

Since then I've been after them and for the last four weeks I've done nothing else, all over East and South Texas. Southern Arkansas, Northern Louisiana and even over into Mississippi where we heard they had been but they were always gone when we got there.

Hung Around and Watched

A few days ago we got reports that Clyde and Bonnie had been through this part of the country and had been over the road through Gibsland. We hung around watching but nothing happened. We didn't give up, though, and decided to stick around a while longer.

At 2 o'clock Wednesday morning we hid our car in the woods eight miles south of Gibsland and lay down behind a little knoll. The grass was wet with heavy dew and it was awful just lying there and waiting. We were right on top of a hill and could see the road until it went over the top of the hill north of us and the other hill south of us. Six of us were watching all the time. Deputy Ted Hinton, M. Gault of the Texas Highway Patrol, former Ranger Captain Frank Hamer, Sheriff Henderson Jordan and Deputy Prentis M. Oakley of Bienville Parish.

Daylight came and still no Clyde. By 9 o'clock we had just about decided to give up, but waited a few minutes. At 9:15 I saw a light tan Ford V-8 head south over the hill north of us. I knew that was the kind of car Clyde was driving. He came closer at good speed. I knew it was Clyde. I told the other officers it was Clyde.

He came still closer. I was positive. A truckload of logs was coming from the other way. Clyde began to slow down. All of us jumped up from behind that little mound. We had rifles and shotguns pointed at him.

We Let Him Have It

By this time he was in fifty feet of us. He saw us and reached over grabbing for what we later learned was his gun. We let him have it. His head flew back. Bonnie toppled forward. The car careened to the left and ran into a sandbank. We didn't know whether we had killed them or not.

The Dallas man told of pilfering autos for the theft ring and when he decided to talk, called for a Dallas Deputy Sheriff who had served in an old and sensational political ring. State highway patrolmen who have worked under but one order since the slaying of two patrolmen at Grapevine —"get Barrow"— joined the Longview and Dallas officers in Winnsboro Wednesday night to lay in wait for the outlaws.

Shooting Exposes Trap

Weeks of watching and waiting in the Gladewater area were to no avail as officers turned to Grcgg County, as they did to many others, tracing the network of Barro^y trails. An unexpected shooting near Gladewater probably prolonged the quest for Barrow and Bonnie, and that came about with such suddenness that officers gasped. They also realized that another trap for Barrow had been exposed.

I ran out into the road and to the right side of the car. I had a rifle. I fired into the rear of the car and again into the right side of the car. The other officers fired again. Nothing happened. We waited. Still nothing.

We slowly walked up to the car and Bonnie and Clyde were both dead in the front seat. Clyde's Browning automatic rifle was lying at his feet. It had been hit by a rifle bullet. He had reached for it and one of the shots had knocked it out of his hand. Bonnie had a .45 automatic pistol in her lap but she hadn't fired it either. There they were, those two bandits and killers, dead, just as they had killed so many others in their murderous career.

We got a wrecker from Gibsland, hitched it onto the front end of their car and without moving their bodies brought the car to Arcadia. The bodies were taken out. a Coroner's jury called, evidence given, the pair identified and the jury held that they had come to their death from gunshot wounds.